Associate Director of Student Advocacy
Phone: (470) 578-3546
Location: A 230K
MS - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, College Student Personnel Administration
BA - University of California, Irvine, CA, Social Sciences
Nicole A. Phillips, a native of Los Angeles, California, began her appointment as the founding director of the Office of Student Advocacy in January 2016.
Nicole enters into this role with a 12-year history of inclusive leadership work at Kennesaw State University in the former Department of Student Development, where she was charged with the strategic administration of support services, including leadership training and development, student advocacy, academic support, mentoring, community outreach, assessment, and reporting both quantitative and qualitative information regarding historically underrepresented student populations at KSU.
Ms. Phillips believes that to be an effective advocate, one must be cross-culturally competent, sensitive to the needs of students and their support systems, and able to effectively partner with a variety of academic, auxiliary, and community agencies within and beyond the campus to best assist students in achieving their goals. Social justice sustains the core of her work with all students, with her thoughts gravitating primarily to creative ways to increase civil engagement of students, thus cultivating a campus culture and environment to being a fertile ground for students' sustained academic success.
Aside from her work, Ms. Phillips enjoys spending her free time writing poetry, prose, and traveling. She is also a published poet and co-author of Eggshells of the Soul, a collection of works from the poetry group Private Poets Unveiled. She also enjoys spending time with family and friends.
- Master of Science, College Student Personnel Administration, Indiana University Bloomington
- Executive Leadership for Women, KSU's Coles College of Business
- EXCEL Leadership Program, KSU's Center for University Learning
- Ethical Leadership Certificate Program, KSU Center for University Learning
- Georgia State University's College of Law Consortium on Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Training, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Leadership for Results, Achieve Global, Effective Supervision, Emory University
- National Coalition Building Institute, Train the Trainer, Atlanta, GA
- Social Justice Training Institute, Train the Trainer, Springfield, MA
- University System of Georgia's Customer Service Award, Student Development
- Theodore K. Miller Outstanding Professional Service Award, Georgia College Personnel Association
- Advisor of the Year Award, KSU Student Government Association
- STAR Award for East Campus Housing, North Carolina State University Housing
- Ann Webster New Professional Award Nominee, M.A.C.U.H.O. Regional Conference
- Outstanding Service to Campus Life Division, Office of Afro-American Affairs, Indiana University
- Outstanding Mentor, Faculty and Staff for Student Excellence (F.A.S.E). Mentor Program, Indiana University
- Outstanding Employer, Residence Life, Indiana University